Thursday, January 24, 2013

Creamy Mock-Carbonara


Hubby likes Bacon!!  Bacon likes my hips so I keep my Bacon to a minimum… This recipe uses one of my "tricks" to get more bacon flavor without using too much bacon :)



I call this a Mock Carbonara because I don't use eggs… for my purposes, since I was making this creamy, it just didn't make sense to go to the bother of trying to incorporate eggs & fussing about with making sure they don't cook too quickly… so...

2 slices Bacon
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
Water (for cooking pasta)
4 oz Angel Hair pasta (I used a Whole Wheat variety)
Spray Olive Oil
1 cup diced Onion
1 cup sliced Mushrooms
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, diced
2 cloves Garlic, crushed
6 wedges Sonoma Jacks Parmesan Peppercorn 
   (alternately 5 wedges Laughing Cow Light Swiss + some freshly ground pepper)
1 tsp Bacon Salt
2 Tbl Fresh Parsley, chopped
Garnishes: Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese & Red Pepper Flakes

Cook bacon until very crisp, pat away excess oil, set aside to cool.

Start water on high heat, add the sea salt to the water - it will need to be boiling for the pasta.

Spray non-stick pan with spray olive oil, sauté diced onions, mushrooms, bell - cook until onions are translucent. Add crushed garlic and cook a minute or two more.


Drop pasta into the boiling water, crumble the bacon.


While pasta is cooking set sauté pan on very low heat, add cheese wedges, bacon crumbles, bacon salt, and parsley. Slowly melt the cheese and mix together until its a creamy consistency.



Once pasta is cooked, drain (reserve some water) & add to cheesy mixture, stir to incorporate well.  Add water as desired to get consistency you’d like.

Whoops!  We were hungry so I didn't get a picture of it on the plate (and it looked SO Yummy!!)… but the picture at the top of this posting should give you an idea.

Serve with Red Pepper flakes & fresh grated Parmesan at the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment