Saturday, October 6, 2012

Phyllo Crust Pumpkin Pie

This is actually 2 recipes but since I use them together I put them together in this post, you could certainly use either separately.

Phyllo Crust:

Ingredients:
  Phyllo - enough sheets to make 8 layers
  Butter Flavored oil spray (like Butter Pam)


Spray your pie pan with the Oil Spray (I'm using a deep dish pan this time).


Place a layer of Phyllo, spray Oil Spray, Phyllo, Spray… Phyllo (for 8 layers total).  If you offset your layers a bit you'll make a better circular crust, after all the layers are in fold under the edges that are hanging over the sides.  Note: My Phyllo was old & falling apart, yours will look much nicer :)


Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.  Your crust is ready to be used for pie!!  Fill with desired filling & bake according to the need of the filling, cover the edges of the crust with foil to prevent burning.

Deep Dish Pumpkin Pie:

Ingredients:
  1 cup Sugar
  1 cup Egg Beaters
  18 oz Fat Free Evaporated Milk
  3 cups cooked Pumpkin (I steam my pumpkins)
  1 tsp Vanilla
  1 tsp Cinnamon
  1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
  1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
  1/8 tsp Ground Cloves

Heat oven to 375F.  Mix together in a bowl and then blend with either a Hand Mixer or an Immersion Blender (my preference).   Pour into prepared deep dish crust - I had a bit of extra filling today, partly because I had to fight to get enough Phyllo to make a pie.  If you end up with extra you can bake it in a ramekin or custard dish, I suggest spraying the dish first with some type of spray oil - I used Butter Pam.


Remember to put foil around the edges to protect the crust (whoops!  I forgot initially), bake for 65-75 minutes - the very center should be just a teensy bit jiggly, adjust time as needed, it will set up while cooling.


As it came out of the oven, foil in place...


With foil removed...


After resting / cooling… don't be disappointed, they all sink - that's just the way they are!

We like to top ours with a dab of fat free cool whip… Mmmm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment