Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Salmon with Roasted Squash & Asparagus

This recipe cooks up in 1 covered casserole, takes advantage of some seasonal squash, and filled up two hungry adults.


Ingredients:
  Spray Olive Oil
  1 Sweet Dumpling Squash (or use Acorn, Carnival, Delicata, …)
  1 bunch Asparagus Tips
  1 nice Salmon Filet (ours was 3/4 pound)
  Spices of your choosing (I'll tell what I used later)
  Salt

Also needed: 1 good sized Casserole dish with a good fitting lid.


I started by washing my squash & setting my oven to 400 F.


Halved.


Seeded.


Cut each half into quarters, sprayed casserole with Olive Oil spray, placed squash pieces into dish, sprayed squash with Olive Oil spray.


Here's where you can vary things quite a bit, choose whatever spice you like but keep in mind the spices are all in the same dish!  I simply shook on some of my custom Moroccan Spice blend, then salted.


Lid on, and in the oven for 1/2 hour, meanwhile...


Rinse and trim some Asparagus Tips, spray with Olive Oil (tossing a couple times), add spice of choosing - same warning as given before applies.  I used Penzeys Sunny Paris, a good herb blend for vegetables, and Salt.


When the squash has cooked for 1/2 hour remove from the oven (careful its HOT), place Asparagus on top of the squash.


Cover and cook for 1/4 hour, meanwhile...


Rinse and portion the fish, after the asparagus has cooked for 1/4 hour remove from the oven (yep, still HOT).  Place Salmon on top of the Asparagus, spice the salmon (yep, same warning applies) - I used Rub With Love Chinese 12 Spice Rub.


Cook Uncovered for another 17-25 minutes, time varies due to thickness of the Salmon - rule of thumb I use at 400F is minimum of 17 minutes for everything up to 1" thick, add 15 minutes for every additional 1" after that.

Hope you're hungry!!

No comments:

Post a Comment