Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Strawberry Freezer Jam



I went on an outing to a local Strawberry Field and came home with 8+ pounds of freshly picked Strawberries (I picked them myself)…




One thing I'd been wanting to try to make/lighten is Strawberry Freezer Jam, so some of these Strawberries were used to come up with this yummy & light Freezer Jam recipe…






Ingredients:
  4 cups mashed fresh Strawberries
  1 1/2 cups white Sugar
  2/3 cups water
  3 Tbl Ball No Sugar / Low Sugar Pectin


Mash Strawberries a bit at a time, with a potato masher, until you have 4 cups of mashed berries.  Add Sugar and stir to mix well.  In a medium saucepan whisk together water & pectin, bring to a boil stirring constantly, once boiling for about a minute add in berry mixture & cook for another 3 minutes.  Remove jam from heat, ladle into freezer safe containers (leave space for expansion during freezing process), and place either in the freezer (for long term storage) or in the refrigerator (use within about a month).  I made enough to fill 3 pint containers (one is pictured above).

Use Freezer Jam as a Jam or as a  topping on Waffles, Crumpets, Ice Cream, etc… Freezer Jam has a much fresher fruit taste than traditional Jams… here's what I've done in the last couple days since making my Jam:





Yesterday: Waffle Topping… I used about 2 Tbl to top my Sour Cream Waffle… Mmmm!!





Today: Crumpet Spread… I used about 1 Tbl each (1/4 cup total) to top my Sourdough Crumpets… Yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment