Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Strawberry Yogurt Coffee Cake

Out in the fields
I've been out to the Strawberry fields again - Mmm!!


As long as the weather is nice going to the Strawberry fields is fun… now it may not sound like fun, because you're crawling along on the ground, pushing leaves aside to discover these tasty morsels, but before long (an hour) I had 9+ pounds of Strawberries… and they cost me less than $18… and they are so much tastier than what we've been getting at the store!!


Berries waiting to be picked
Add to that the adventure of meeting complete strangers who are like-minded, hearing the parents & grandparents interact with the kids they've brought along, sampling a few along the way… and you've got a very tasty & enjoyable morning!!


What to do with all the Strawberries???  I made another batch & a half of my Low Sugar Strawberry Freezer Jam, but I still had lots of berries…



I saved quite a few (a quart or two) for just snacking - Jeff & I love our strawberries.

I also cut up another pint & mixed them with just a tiny bit of sugar for Jeff to have on Ice Cream.


But what to do with the rest??  


I decided to try to make a cake, using my own crazy experimental method of doing things, and this recipe was the result… a very tasty result if I do say so myself!!


It smelled so good we dug right in, it wasn't until the
next morning that I thought to get a picture (oops!)


Ingredients:
  1 1/2 cups Flour
  1 cup Sugar
  1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
  1/2 tsp salt
  1/4 cup Egg Beaters
  1 tsp Vanilla
  1 cup Fat Free Plain
        Greek Yogurt
  2 cups cut up Strawberries


It makes a very moist & dense cake
Directions:
  Preheat oven to 350 F, spray an 8x8 glass pan (or equivalent) with some Spray Crisco or Baker's Joy.
  Throw all ingredients in a bowl and mix it up, it will be a thick batter & will turn pink from the berries.  Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out relatively clean (center of cake should not "jiggle" when moved).
  It can be eaten warm, its not a super-sweet cake so when warm its best with a dab of Fat Free Cool Whip (or the like).  I actually liked it better once it had chilled overnight, then it doesn't need anything else on it & is great with a cup of coffee - I confess I've had it for breakfast twice this week :)


I'm looking forward to Raspberry & Blueberry picking seasons coming up a bit later this Summer… I'll have to try this again with those berry types.


Update on 7/12/12 - I tried with Blueberries… Yum!!
Update on 7/30/12 - I've also done Mixed Berries… as well as Nectarine (not posted), Peach (not posted) and Cherry (not posted).  For the Nectarine adding in a bit of Ground Cloves (1/8 - 1/4 tsp) can be nice, but is not necessary. For the Peach adding in a bit of both Ginger and Cinnamon (1/2 tsp each) adds nice spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment