Thursday, August 23, 2012

Skinny Egg Muffin / Bagel

What have I been up to lately?

I'm still playing with Sorbets & Frozen Yogurts… but decided not to bore you with any of those for a while (I'll add more later)… and I've been working on a Frozen Banana-Rum-Raisin dessert, but don't have the kinks out yet, so I'm not ready to share at this time…

At the same time I've started messing about with some Breakfast ideas, with some success & admittedly some failure as well (my waffle-egg-bacon sandwich didn't pan out).

Here's the latest creation, with many ideas for variations (some of which have been tried already)…


This is not your fast-food muffin sandwich!!  Not only is it much lower in calories & fat, its much tastier as well!!

Ingredients:
  1 Light English Muffin (Village Hearth is pretty good)
  1/4 cup Egg Beaters (I use plain, you could use other types)
  Spray Canola Oil (or Pam)
  Thin Sliced lunch meat (I like Hillshire Farms Ultra Thin Sliced)
      today I used 4 slices of Pastrami, I've also used Honey Ham.
  2 Light Cheese Wedges (I like Laughing Cow and Sonoma Jacks)


You really should have an Egg/Crumpet ring or single egg frying pan to cook your egg… it will work otherwise but won't make as nice a sandwich.  I used a non-stick pancake/crumpet/egg ring & sprayed my pan & ring with a little Canola Oil.

Let the pan & ring warm a bit, on Medium to Medium-Low heat.

Put in just a tiny bit of the egg, just enough to fill the bottom of the ring and let it cook for about 1/2 minute…  this helps keep the egg from seeping under the bottom of the ring.

Add the remainder of the egg… as its cooking pop any large bubbles, a fork works well for this...

When the top is mostly dry flip the egg in its ring… a spatula is helpful for this...

Can you tell I had the temp up just a smidge too high when I started… but even at that it wasn't burnt… turn off the flame and let the egg sit in the pan for a minute just to make sure the top is cooked.

Meanwhile… while the egg is cooking you can toast up your muffin, then spread the cheese on both sides...

Add your meat...

Put the egg-less sandwich together...

Just before you're ready to add the egg, wrap the sandwich in a Paper Towel and Microwave for 10-15 seconds (this warms the meat & cheese a bit).

Add in that cooked egg, close it up…  If you (oops) get distracted and don't get to eating it for a bit (like me taking pictures) the whole thing can be wrapped/microwaved again for about 15 seconds to warm it up.  I haven't tried making these ahead & warming for breakfast another day, if anyone tries that they can let me know (in the comments) how that works out.

With a bit of fruit on the side it makes a nice balanced breakfast!!

Variations!!  This can be spiced up & spunked up to your heart's desire… Try Thomas's Bagel Thins (my favorite: Everything) instead of the english muffin… try changing up the meat or cheese variations…  try adding one or more of these to keep it interesting:
  Salt & Pepper
  Spice Mixes
  Tabasco
  Jalepeño
  Onions (raw or cooked)
  Peppers (raw or cooked)
  Tomato
  Sugar Free Maple Syrup

Its the variety that keeps it interesting… feel free to add comments if you try something crazy & its good, I'd love to hear about it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment