Saturday, September 22, 2012

Grow Or Bust Cookies


This recipe is lovingly named after cookies my Grandma used to make, they could also be called "Kitchen Sink Cookies" because… I think you'll get my drift once you read further… Grandma loved putting together healthy ingredients into a tasty treat for her grandkids, these are high in fiber, low in processed sugar & low fat - if Grandma was still here she'd approve!!

I don't normally use boxed mixes, but I do this time… feel free to substitute to your hearts content!

Ingredients:
  1 box Fiber One Apple Muffin Mix
  1 cup Thick Cut Oatmeal
  1/2 cup Sugar
  1/2 cup Egg Beaters
  1 medium apple, skin on , cored & diced small  (I used Macintosh)
  1 cup fresh cooked Pumpkin
  1/2 cup chopped Dates
  1/2 cup roasted/salted Sunflower Seeds
  2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  2 tsp Cinnamon (suggest Penzey's Chinese)
  1 tsp Ground Ginger
  1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg (fresh is more flavorful)
  1/4 tsp Ground Cloves

Set oven to 350F.  Throw it all in a bowl & mix it up.  Line cookie sheets with Parchment Paper (or they'll stick), drop cookies by the Tablespoonful on the paper.  Bake for about 20 minutes, allow to cool completely before carefully removing from the Parchment Paper.

Store in the refrigerator in layers separated by Parchment or Wax Paper.

I didn't have any Pumpkin or Sunflower Seeds when I made these about a week ago, so I substituted Banana for the Pumpkin and finely chopped Walnuts for the Sunflower Seeds… still came out wonderful!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment