Thursday, April 5, 2012

Experiment - Healthy Breakfast Cookies

Cookies for Breakfast?!?  Yes!  These are delicious & nutritious (oats, honey, sunflower seeds)… only lightly sweet… and very satisfying!!  This was my first experiment along these lines & was so good that it is well worth sharing (even though the recipe needs refining).




I had some leftover levian (Sourdough Starter) that I just couldn't stand to throw away, so I "played" a bit in the kitchen and ended up with these cookies… now these aren't "ideal", but they are good, and I'm guessing in the future I'll try these again & make improvements.


Set oven to 450 F… I had a Pizza Stone in the oven, but I didn't give the stone time to warm, just got the oven up to temp… this was an experiment after all… 


Ingredients:
  1/4 cup Levian (Sourdough Starter)
  1/4 cup Quick Oats
  1 Tbl Honey
  1 Tbl Sunflower Seeds (I used roasted & salted)
  1/4 tsp Sugar
  1/8 tsp Salt
  1/8 tsp Baking Soda (wait until the last minute to add this)


I mixed up all but the Baking Soda, let the mixture sit for a few minutes while the oven was warming.  Once the oven was up to temp I added the Baking Soda, let the batter rise (it takes about a minute to double in size).



I placed 4 dollops of batter onto a piece of parchment paper, popped it into the oven, watched & waited… 10 minutes later I removed my "cookies"… you can tell by the picture I ate one right away (there were 4)… 


Makes four 3" diameter "cookies", breakfast for 1… you do the math if you want more :)


Things I want to try: adding spices, adding dried or fresh soft fruits, baking at a cooler temp… I said I was playing!!


Update on 4/7/12:  It's the evening before Easter, and we're going to be up & going at O-Dark-30 in the morning, so I decided to make another batch of Breakfast Cookies to be ready to have tomorrow… and of course I had to sample to make sure they were tasty.


The originals were good, but could use a bit of spicing-up, so I added (proportions equivalent to above):
  1/4 tsp Cinnamon
  1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
  1 Tbl Crystalized Ginger, chopped up very fine


These were even better than the first batch!!


Next time hubby has me talked into trying the following:
  Replace the Sunflower Seeds with finely diced crisp Bacon.
  Replace the Ginger with Cocoa Powder.
  Keep the Cinnamon & Vanilla.
I'll let you know how they turn out when I try them!

No comments:

Post a Comment