Monday, July 2, 2012

An experiment in Leftovers...

… Sweet & Spicy Chicken Salad





It was hot today, 99 degrees & humid, so I didn't want to heat up the house by cooking…




I took some leftover chicken from a get-together last friday, diced it up…




Added in some spices…




Some Mango Chutney…  this brand is Fair Trade & is available through SERRV, or if you're in the St Paul area you can get it at our local Ten Thousand Villages store.




A little Honey Dijon salad dressing, this one is Calorie Free & available at many stores…




I mixed in some Grapes, Onion, Celery… then I served it on a bed of lettuce…. Yum!


Ingredients:
  8 oz diced cooked Chicken
  1/2 tsp Salt
  1/2 tsp Ancho Chili powder
  1 tsp Sweet Curry powder
  1/2 cup Mango Chutney
  1/2 cup Honey Dijon salad dressing
  1/2 cup diced Onion
  1/2 cup diced Celery
  1 cup Grapes cut in quarters


It is on the sweet side, with just a little bite of spice… my hubby loved it (he has a bit of a sweet tooth)… I loved the flavor, but think I might cut back on the salad dressing (1/4 cup) and add in some fat free yogurt (1/4 cup)… but honestly, it was great as is, I'm just more of a Spice girl & hubby is a Sweet boy… definitely an experiment gone right & a nice cool dinner on a hot day.  This would also be good on bread, I see an open-faced sandwich for lunch in my future :)

No comments:

Post a Comment