Monday, March 26, 2012

Chocolate Stout Bunt Cake

I had been browsing around Pinterest looking for ideas for a special dessert for my sweet hubby when I ran across this recipe for a Chocolate Stout cake.  I would love to be able to eat the original (I'm sure its quite delicious), but I really don't want to undermine all the work I've gone through to get to and stay at a healthy weight… oh to have the metabolism to eat whatever I want, or to be so good about exercise to be able to burn it off… but I had to "get real".  So instead of continuing to drool (I admit, I drooled) I decided to pursue the idea of making a cake with Chocolate & Stout, and though this doesn't resemble the original at all (nothing like it in fact) I wanted to at least give credit for inspiring me… so if you don't struggle with your weight/health & can indulge in the original go right ahead.

My recipe is very chocolatey, very dense, and very satisfying… its one of my higher-cal recipes, but still not terribly high.  I use a bunt pan that has lines separating out 18 portions - it keeps me honest and keeps me from eating too much.


Ingredients:
  1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
  1 1/2 cups uncooked Quick Oats
  1 cup good quality Cocoa
     (I like Penzeys Natural High Fat Cocoa)
  2 cups Sugar
  2 tsp Baking Powder
  1 tsp Salt
  1 Tbl Vanilla Extract
  14.9oz can Guinness Draught (Stout)


Preheat to 325F. Prep bunt pan (I use a springform bunt pan) with spray Crisco. Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add wet ingredients and blend well. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 50 minutes (estimated). Allow cake to cool on rack for 15 minutes before turning out onto a plate. Suggest topping with Fat Free Cool Whip (shown), sprinkling with powdered sugar, or serving with Vanilla Ice Cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment