Monday, March 19, 2012

Sourdough Pancakes

Topped with Fresh Strawberries & Cool Whip Free
Mmm, Mmm, Mmm….


I wrote about experimenting with Sourdough pancakes a couple days ago, and here is the recipe.


These pancakes are a little lighter in texture than some of my others, I'm guessing this is due to how the baking soda interacts with the Sourdough starter.


I had the pictured pancake for breakfast this morning, and it sure was tasty!!


This recipe makes approximately 3 large (8.5"), 4 medium (7"), or 8 small (4") pancakes.



Ingredients:
  1 cups Sourdough starter
  1/2 cup Egg Beaters
  1 tsp vanilla extract
  1/2 tsp salt
  3/4 tsp baking soda
  1 1/2 tsp sugar
  1/4 cup All Purpose Flour


Wisk all ingredients together in a bowl, the baking soda will react with the sourdough & cause the batter to get foamy.  If you want really lacy pancakes use the batter right away (but I don't recommend that); otherwise let the batter sit for about 10 minutes then stir again to get the bubbles to break up a bit & redistribute.


Wipe/spray griddle/skillet with oil, put on Medium heat (large burner), wait until a drop of batter sizzles on the griddle. Cook until most the bubbles on top of the pancake have burst and the top appears dry, flip and cook a minute more.  Add your favorite toppings and enjoy.


As with all my recipes I encourage you to play with this… try various toppings, try adding in spices or nuts or fruit… have fun & enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. I updated this recipe today (3/24/12) for two reasons:

    I cut the recipe in half so that the amount of sourdough starter used was only 1 cup… most people wouldn't have 2 cups of starter sitting around with nothing to do with it…

    I added further instructions on working with the batter, letting the batter sit results in pancakes that are more pancake-like (not overly airy).

    I discovered the need to update this recipe while making these this morning for Jeff & I for breakfast… these are definitely Jeff-approved :D

    ReplyDelete